Friday, November 29, 2013

Far too young

Henry has had a couple nights of rough sleep.  Mostly due to the fact that he is cutting his final four teeth at the same time...hallelujah! Can't wait until he has all his teeth fully grown in.  Last night, he woke up around 1/1:30 crying. After some comforting, drinks of water, and some numbing cream for his gums, he went to sleep with mommy and daddy after what seemed like about an hour. He woke up a number of times after that, rolled around, hit and kicked us in the face, and then finally went to sleep for good after probably a couple of hours.

After waking up around 7:30am, Annie told me that at one point in the middle of the night Henry and I looked adorable.  I was sleeping on my back with my left arm extended out and my right arm crossed over and resting on my chest. Henry was sleeping on his back with his head resting on my left arm; his left arm was extended out and his right arm was also resting on his chest.

Before Annie told me that story I was upset with how the night went. It was the second night of Henry sleeping like that so I was pretty tired. After she told me about our twin sleeping, I found myself thinking that, for the most part, Henry just wanted to be held and comforted by his parents. At one point, in the middle of the night, he woke up, said mommy and crawled over to hug and fall asleep on Annie. I also found myself thinking back to when I was younger and when all I would need to feel better was to be hugged and comforted by my parents. I also found myself thinking of what age I was when I was 'too old' to sleep with my mom and dad and 'too old' to be comforted by them. I couldn't remember what the age was, but thinking of holding Henry and having him want, more than anything else in the world, to be held and comforted by us, I am convinced I was far too young when I no longer needed it. I know Henry and Evelyn will be far too young when they no longer need us to hold them in the middle of the night for no other reason then they just want to be held. Tonight, I find myself almost wanting Henry to wake up just because he needs me to hold him.

No comments:

Post a Comment