Thursday, April 17, 2014

You have energy...I'll build you an obstacle course!

The afternoon started off with a bang. Henry fell down an entire flight of stairs! Thankfully, they were carpeted. He cried a little, I checked him over for any injuries or pains, but he was fine and off playing in no time. I feel like having your kids fall down stairs is a right of passage as a parent. It's right up there with having some time pass after changing a diaper and realizing you have poop on you...in an area that is way to close to the part of your hand that was touching the food you just put in your mouth!

Anyway, I digress. After the fall, Evelyn and Henry were playing nicely together with blocks. This lasted for a little while and eventually turned into Henry smacking the blocks all over the place and then bashing a block on top of Evelyn's head, which led to me giving him a stern talking to. Lately, whenever he gets in trouble and I start talking to him about it, he closes his eyes. I have to try not to laugh, because it makes me think of THIS scene from The Simpsons every time.


After playing with blocks it turned into wrestling and Henry saying, "I tackle you" every time he fell on Evelyn. Shortly after this video Evelyn pulled Henry's hair - that was the end of wrestling. I'm beginning to wonder if this is the beginning of Henry being able to dish it out, but not take it. Evelyn seems sufficient at both! 



From that point on Henry seemed to become super energized. I needed to do a number of things inside of the house, so we couldn't go outside or anywhere for him to get his energy out. The solution...a makeshift obstacle course for him to climb on! He loved it! And, Evelyn loved having her own personal ball pit!
The creation kept evolving, eventually turning into this. Not only was this fun for Henry and Evelyn, but it was for me too. I'm already thinking of more ideas to make it even bigger and better!!

Evelyn had a go at the ball pit at the bottom of the slide...she was not a fan. As soon as she got in it, she froze and wouldn't move. Then she started crying, which oddly enough, made me laugh do to another Simpsons episode when Maggie gets stuck in a ball pit...maybe I've seen too many Simpsons episodes?


No comments:

Post a Comment