Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Is there a changing table in that bathroom?

One of the things that I already knew going into this adventure of being a stay at home dad was that I would be of the minority in this profession. Yes, I very much look at this as a profession. This is my job and I take it very seriously...well...not too seriously, you have to have some fun!

When I am out running errands or off on a daddy adventure, there are two very specific looks I get: 

1) 'That is awesome, he must be a stay at home dad. Good for him! What a great dad!' I appreciate the praise and acknowledgement, but being a stay at home dad doesn't automatically make me a great dad, it makes me a dad; period. How I raise my kids, the lessons and morals I teach them, and being able to show them the love God shows us - this will determine if I'm a great dad. 

2) 'Oh, isn't that cute, the dad is trying to go out in public with his kids.' Getting this look is interesting. The pride and competitiveness in me thinks, "I'll show you, I'm going to be the best parent in the world and prove you wrong!"  Then I kind of feel guilty that it isn't teaching Henry and Evelyn a good lesson by thinking that - but not too guilty.

There are two other things that take place that still surprise me. I can't believe how many places I go into that don't have a changing table in the men's bathroom! Luckily the only times I've come across these are when I'm with Annie. I read a story about a dad who got so frustrated by this that he changed his kid's diaper right on a store's customer service desk - I don't know if I'll ever do that, but we did have to change Henry's diaper in the middle of Central Park once!

The second thing, which I think is clearly sexist is at our church, and from what I've learned, at many daycares. This summer we volunteered in the nursery. If a baby needed a diaper change I was not allowed to change it. I had to find a woman who was 18 or older. You mean to tell me an 18 year old high school student is more suited to change a baby's diaper than me!?

I'm not really too terribly upset by any of these, but it does give me more of an understanding of what it is to be discriminated against. As with everything that happens to me, hopefully I can use these experiences as a teaching moment with Henry and Evelyn.

No comments:

Post a Comment